When life gets overwhelming, Reach out for Help!

When life gets overwhelming

 Reach out for help...

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a Marriage and Family Therapist, a Clinical Psychologist, and a Psychiatrist?

• A Marriage and Family Therapist has  a master’s degree in psychology, counseling psychology, clinical psychology, or marital and family therapy. Emphasis is on primary service in counseling and psychotherapy from a variety of therapeutic orientations with individuals, couples, families, and groups.

• A Psychologist possesses a doctoral degree in psychology or a related field with a license to practice therapy and often conducts psychological testing and research.

• A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in psychiatry. Emphasis is onprescribing and monitoring psychotropic medications and sometimes offers psychotherapy.

What should I ask a potential therapist?

• Inquire about the therapist's training,
education, and commitment to his or her professional development. • Ask what type of therapy is utilized. How is this different from other types of therapy? What should you expect?

• Does the therapist have a treatment agreement? The treatment agreement will likely cover fees, appointments, cancellations, limits of confidentiality, etc.

What should I ask myself?

• What do I hope to gain from therapy? Will this therapist help me do that?

• Am I comfortable with this therapist? Would I want to come back?

• Do I feel assured that the therapist is qualified to help me with the issues or concerns that have motivated me to seek therapy at this time?

• Am I willing to do the work necessary to participate in therapy?